Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Photo of the Week

I'm conducting an experiment. On myself. Each week, I'm going to post at least one photo I've worked on recently. Every week. At least one. We'll see how it goes.

One of the things I love about our fishing shack is the abundance of wildlife, and the usually peaceful space it occupies (except, of course on the 4th of July). Sometimes it gets a little racy:

Usually, though it's beautiful. There are deer walking across the harbor at low tide. A seal comes in a few times a year. A family or convocation of otters haul out on our neighbors' docks. Bald eagles soar and dive, with their "entourage" of starlings, crows, finches, and an occasional hummingbird. My favorite, though, is the pair of osprey that nest high up in a cedar tree behind our house. My brother, the avid ornithologist, had been telling me about how osprey and eagles sometimes tangle, and last June, they did just that. In front of my house:

Yes, the eagle is flying upside down. No animals were harmed in the production of this photo.

No comments: