Sunday, July 31, 2011

In Memoriam - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

I've just left the memorial service for Steve Lacey, who was killed a week ago by an enraged drunk driver. I didn't actually know Steve all that well. He worked in the Kirkland office, mostly, and I don't go over there much. But in the last four years we've had a few chats, and beside that, he touched many people's lives -- the church was entirely full.
There are many surface similarities between us (which is part of what is so distressing about this event, I suppose): he was a year younger than I, also tall, good humored, loved to build things, loved to write code, loved to create things to help people. He shared more of himself than I do. A lesson to be learned there, perhaps.
I do not believe it is possible or healthy to live your life as if you could be killed by a drunk driver while driving to Costco on an ordinary Sunday afternoon. But to do the important things first: that I need to work on more. Thank you for that lesson, Steve and those who spoke at his memorial. My heart goes out to all of Steve's family. May life give you better than what you got on the 24th.

No comments: